View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 06:14 AM   #7887
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I’m 61 years old and have been driving and drag racing manual trans cars for decades. My reflexes are still holding up farily well, and I’m well versed in no lift shifting. I don’t think driver skill will be a significant impediment, especially in a roll race. Given that I bested C&D’s GT500 trap speed by 1 mph on a stifling hot day, I think I have a slight power edge. I remain optimistic that I could hold off a GT500 on a roll, at least until I fall into the huge hole between 4th and 5th gear.
I love my manual but must admit that the performance toll it extracts vs. a modern automatic is occasionally a bit of a downer. When I came along, manuals were faster than autos across the board. Things have certainly changed in that regard.
One thing I can say with absolute certainty: If I ever do run across a GT500 on an open highway, I hope that he’s bone stock!
Any loss you take will purely be due to the trans and doesn't reflect on you. It's just that you have a particular disadvantage that will be significant. And yea you're gonna have to beat him before switching to 5th because that is where he might overtake you. Or if you have a decent lead then you might be able to keep the lead somewhat.

If I may ask, what mods do you have that put you at 730 RWHP? Is there room for more if you want to turn it up? I mean, if you're on the stock blower then you might be tapped out. But if you have a blower and cam swap then maybe dial it up a bit. I say that because I pretty much think that any 500 you come across will most likely be pulley/tune/LTs and in the 800+ range. Plus I think the days where 600 and 700 RWHP cars are just not gonna cut it anymore against the big dogs.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote