View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 12:29 AM   #59
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
alright pals so here is what happened

I was doing some checking of my controller after I noticed some of the data on the Gforce page a little off, from my previous wifi revisions (screenshots, and how the read file appeared in the tuning software). just wanted to make sure I didn't write some messed up commands to the controller.

And I also wanted to mess with the cable connection for the first time. So I plugged her in, established comms, and began to read from the box, but only one page at a time. Specifically the Gforce page because that the info I wanted to verify to be ok..

Well, I got some very bizarre readings on the my tuner software.. This was late in the day but I managed to get a hold of someone there (not one of the engineers) and ask for help.

He asked what I was doing and why, I explained..
When I told him I was reading one page at a time, he said to cut that out, and to only do "Read All" or "Write All", never one page at a time, OR I can burn a board and then I'll be buying a new one...
I'm like what? So I asked him if there is anything else I need to know about that will fry my newly purchased not so cheap controller.. He said no, thats it..

I am now baffled... why does the tuner allow you to read/write onr page at a time when you are not supposed to.. better yet, where is it written that I can kill my controller by doing just that...?
Anyway, I got a good reading, all seemed well, then I tried to do some data recording..

One thing I left out, the controller was in the car and the car was running, BUT I was not writing anything to the controller and wan't planning to write anything otherwise I would have turned the car off...

Anyway, going back to what I was saying, I tried to do some data recording and then I lost comms.. Not only that, the controller shut down and check suspension light came on...
I shut off the car, unplugged the controller, plugged it back in, started the car... seemed ok, no light on the dash.. Tried to establish comms and do anything like read or data, and it shut off again, the whole thing.. Dash light and all... Tried a few more times...
DSC was already closed, so I couldn't call them..

So now I'm thinking what happened is exactly what he told me would happen.. I fried the controller...
I stopped trying to connect, unplugged the controller from the car, plugged it back in, started the car and everything seemed ok after a test drive... but I stopped trying to connect.

Came home later, and was able to connect through wifi, and do a quick read... so I came to the conclusion that at least the wifi part is still working (even though they don't want you using it)

Sunday night I removed the controller, connected to my computer and tried to do a full read... it worked!... both read all and write all worked.. put the controller back in the car...

I have not tried to establish com with the controller, while it is in the car since... no time and a little worried actually. I did not have time to call DSC today

needless to say all this is making me uneasy and still not sure if I hurt something permanently
DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote