View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 07:08 PM   #11
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
I was riding my Harley Davidson on a Sunday afternoon bout 20 years ago. Drove past a lumber company and hit a large spike that must have dropped off a truck. It went through the tread and out the sidewall and stayed there. Tubeless tire so it actually went down slowly enough I got it stopped without crashing. I pulled the spike out and realized no way was my fix a flat was going to get me home over 75 miles away. Nice dood on a Harley stopped to help me and lived local. He went home and brought back a pack of rubber strips and tire cement. We took the strips using a needle nose pliers and filled the sidewall holes. There was multiple holes because till I stopped the spike punched the side wall a few times. We used about 8 strips of rubber and glue until everything was jammed in tight. Then I used my fix a flat to inflate the tire. IT LOOKED DANGEROUS but didn't leak. We bounced on the seat to make sure it stayed up then I drove it slowly around a parking lot, It stayed up! I drove that motorcycle home 75 miles and to the dealer a few days later with all those plugs in the tire and it never leaked any air. Dealer mechanic couldn't believe how well it stayed together. Sometimes
you gotta roll the dice.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote