View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #25
ScaryFatKidGT

Drives: NGM SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
IMO, the track shields look more like ball joint protectors .. designed as heat shields, not rotor shields.

On the C6 vette we found that heat from the rotors were melting the grease boots which eventually would lead to ball joint failure from heat more than dirt.

Here is an aftermarket kit designed to protect the ball joints http://www.lapponline.com/index.php?...27mpdoqkevijg5

But again, just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
You are 100%, exactly right.

The point is to remove as much coverage as possible, for optimum brake cooling, yet still utilize the radiant heat protection.
They clearly direct air at the rotor, might help protect stuff behind it from heat as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Just as another data point. The ZL1 and ZL1 1LE come with the shields in the 2nd picture, aka the "SS track shields". Having recently completed a full ZL1 brake swap on my SS 1LE, I can now verify that.
Why are people worried about the SS 1LE being to low for the "SS" deflectors then, when the ZL1 1LE comes with them? Or are you talking about the metal part?

How do you like them? I'm kinda pissed they didn't just use ZL1 brakes on the SS !LE, surely the cost wouldn't be that much different, did they do it so you could still fit 18's? Sure the SS is lighter but I have seen plenty of people overheating their stock SS 1LE set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
I take it that the "SS track shields" are in fact smaller than the stock 1LE SS shields?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
That's correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Thanks
The metal rotor shield is smaller, the plastic air deflector is larger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir574 View Post
So after reading through all these posts, can we get a recap? lol

I have a SS1LE, do I need to do anything to it prior to a track day with the brake ducts or dust shields, or can it be left as is for the track for those?

Thanks!
I need one too.... they started talking about the metal rotor shield then threw in the air ducts and I'm lost now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
What he said.

You can run the SS track stuff (deflectors and rotor shield) for a little more cooling, but the stock stuff on the 1LE will do fine. I ran the SS track deflectors because I had them. I would like to believe that they helped out on this past 90F+ track day, but I have no reference point. All I can say is that I didn't notice any brake fad - pedal stayed firm and the brakes clamped down lap after lap on the stock pads and SRF.

You can get a general idea of what temps are like in stock configuration from other's posts, like Ryephile's, though. Knowing what impact good brake fluid and brake ducting can do for a brake setup on track, I have to think there is an improvement there, for sure, but I'm not sure how much. If my car can run stock brakes with the SS deflectors on a 90F+ day, there shouldn't be an issue on a "normal" day on the SS 1LE stock stuff.
People are overheating their stock SS 1LE setup and glowing rotors are quite common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
Does anyone know if you can run the "normal" SS Backing Plate or the "track" backing plate with the SS 1LE front brake setup? Does it matter?

I was going to have my used 1LE front brake setup installed on my SS but the backing plates won't be here until next week.
I would use the smaller "backing plate", as for the air duct either the small 1LE scoop or the large SS flat panel will work.
ScaryFatKidGT is offline   Reply With Quote