View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #39
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
guess, don't understand how the ss 1le wouldn't be any worse a DD than a non-1le ss. I mean you can spec a ss close to a 1le, right?

I can see the case of buying more than you have the opportunity to use, and it just feels wrong to have something so capable sit there... but again the same could be true for a non-1le ss.
IME, it is more a question of where you live and how you drive. If I lived in Atlanta or Dallas I would have zero issues with having a 1LE as a DD. I live in Detroit and spend a good amount of time driving through southern Ontario to Buffalo. I don’t take the SS on that trip too often and would be even less inclined to take a 1LE. Definitively not in the winter, because of the tires. For SS they are Goodyear Eagle F1 summer only run flats. They are phenomenal on dry pavement, squirrelly on wet pavement, treacherous in a downpour, and a really really bad choice in snow. So in climates that drop below 40 - 45 degrees, the owner will need to swap the tires for all seasons or park the car and drive something else.

That’s for SS. The 1LE has the same tire, only significantly wider and with lower profile. That amps up all that is good (and bad) about the tires on the SS. Being wider also pushes the outer edge of the tires out beyond the fenders and the sticky tread picks up small debris and flings it onto the body. Easily remedied with rock guards, but still a nuisance. The suspension on the 1LE is a little tighter and more firm than a non-1LE, so road feel is a bit more transparent. Not necessarily a bad thing, depending on where and how you’re driving it, but for some it can be a little bit much.

To be honest, I considered a 1LE and would have had no qualms about driving it the same as I do my SS, but two things moved me off the 1LE. I LOVE the Fifty package. Wasn’t available for 1LE. And I had decided early on I was gonna have a convertible. Not available for 1LE. Ironically, convertible is available for ZL1, but not for 1LE at any trim level.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote