View Single Post
Old 04-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #4
Xyebo

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE | '18 1LS V6 [sold]
Update III: the pads came in plain black boxes that just had the part number and a barcode. They also did NOT come with hardware, so I went back to Rockauto to order the DFC brake hardware.

I got the new pads put on. Per mechanic's advice, I drove 200 miles without any hard braking. At the 200 mi mark, I went to a local industrial area to do 10 hard stops from 50 mph to 10 mph to burnish the material.

On the street: when I start the car cold, the first 2 or 3 braking applications are very weird, but I guess that's because these low-metallic pads need to warm up. Once they warm up, the brake pads are definitely more touchy than anything I have tried before. They dust a lo-o-o-o-o-ot, so you better have black wheels or the patience for seeing black flakes on your shiny wheels.

On the track: I went to Buttonwillow Raceway here in California to do some regular lapping and hooning. Surprisingly, they did very well! If I drive at 7/10 or 8/10 of pace, I see little to no fade whatsoever. If I go at 9/10 or 10/10 with very hard braking, I see some minor fade after 4 or 5 laps. While no match for a designated track pad, this is still much-much better compared to the previous pads I tried on Camaro's single-piston brakes: the OEM ceramics and the Powerstop Z26 carbon-ceramics.

Conclusion: low noise, high dust, might take some time to warm up in cold (but not to a point of being anywhere near dangerous). Good pad for a street hoon and an occasional track day.
Xyebo is offline   Reply With Quote