View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 04:25 PM   #1
ChibbMD

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
A Few Questions About Getting A Tune

Hey folks. I've done a few mods to my SS 1LE 6MT and think I'm ready to get my first tune. I've been looking at two options - either my local performance shop (the tech there has a ZL1) or a remote tune from GPI. Regardless of where I get it tuned, I have some questions I was hoping you can help me with.

I've had numerous motorcycles tuned over the years. In those cases, the tune was basically just adjusting the fuel mapping across the RPM and gearing ranges to optimize air-fuel ratio (assuming optimal AFR produces optimal performance).

With the car, my research suggests we're just flashing the ECU with a new tune file(s). The crux of my question is this - Are there different levels of tune or differing variables that need some discussion in advance? Or is a tune just aiming to optimize some variable(s) like AFR? How dependent is the tune on the tech doing the work?

I'm wondering if I need to tell them "Hey, I want max power." or "More power is nice but don't sacrifice my daily drivability."
ChibbMD is offline   Reply With Quote