View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 05:37 AM   #40
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
I've never tried to apply more than 2 coats of Tung Oil, so maybe it doesn't build up layers same as Tru Oil.

Actually I've done 8 coats on the guitar and I lie it as is. I've let it dry for a day and will leave it tomorrow as well. If I ever feel it needs more layers, I can always add some later. But for now I love how the grain is half filled and how shiny it is. I am still debating if I want to do a little steel wool on it to make it satin. We'll see.

But I really like the finish. Thanks for the advice. It is way better than what I would have been able to do with a lacquer.
Yes, 8 coats is fine, and you can add more anytime, next month, next year, whenever. When it looks and feels right, it's enough!
Always a good idea to leave it at least a week to cure, much shorter time than lacquer. I like the satin look myself, but it depends. I have also just used a polishing compound like Novus 2 or similar, that leaves almost a semi-gloss which can be quite nice too. Old blue jeans make great polishing/buffing rags for Tru Oil.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote