View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #8
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
I'm going to throw my opinions in here. The manual clearly states " Ask for and use full synthetic engine oil that meet the dexos 1 specification. Engine oil that have been approved by GM as meeting the dexos 1 specification are marked with the dexos 1 approved logo". Note that Dexos 1 can be a Synthetic Blend. Then of course they show the Dexos 1, Gen 2 label. That is rather ambiguous. Furthermore Gen 2 is 2017 test so does the 2016 engine not have to use Gen 2. So you see there is lots of ambiguity.

When you go to GMDexos.com it would have you believe that Gen 2 is full synthetic. Doing a little more research the Gen2 seemed to want to address pre-detonation in turbo engines which of course our engines are not. There are a couple of other things , (nit nats) that GM tries to address. Browsing Walmart.com you can see that as there is a Quaker State synthetic blend that has Dexos 1 approval but probably doesn't the the Gen2 approval since it isn't full synthetic.

Long story short go to GMDexos.com and see the approved list of oil. Now go to Walmart and buy Mobil1 5W-30 Extended life with that exact logo for $29.98/5 qts. If you don't like that price at Walmart you could buy the Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil from Quaker state at $22.98/ 5 qts.

You have to understand a few things. There is not 100 producers of oil just like there isn't 100 producers of batteries. Probably only a handful of oil producers. Then various companies add an additives package. Those additive packages may or may not be tested against GM's dexos 2 tests but it doesn't mean it doesn't meet it. In any event oil isn't as complicated as one thinks and it is more about marketing and a whole lot less about the actual oils. To me dexos 1 is synthetic blend and dexos gen2 is a full synthetic oil. I would guess that most full synthetic oils do meet gen2 but they may or may not have been tested for it.

Finally the big problem for me is that there is likely no difference between the 2016 engines and ours and 2016 engines could use dexos 1 but 2017 and up are expected to use Gen 2 because that is when they came up with that standard yet my manual for my 2018 doesn't make that exactly clear and hence much of this is a bit of BS.

Last edited by CoolbreezeNJ; 12-07-2018 at 09:48 AM.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote