View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #35
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISCAM View Post
Norm, no offense, but that line of reasoning is flawed too. A given transmission and rear end, as used in my hypothetical chassis dyno setup, will require the same amount of torque to turn it at a given rpm, regardless of what the source of that torque is.
Using your analogy of a pallet being dragged across a shop floor with two dissimilar weights strapped to them is NOT what I was describing. I specifically mentioned using the same transmission and rear end assembly in both examples precisely so that it would keep that source of frictional loss in the assembly as a constant.
I'm not saying that two different engines will have the same frictional losses in their respective rotating assemblies, I'm saying if those two engines (and my hypothetical electric test motor) were all mated to that same transmission and rear end assembly, that trans. and rear end would require the same amount of torque to turn them.
That, in my mind means that a given transmission and rear end assembly should, at least in most cases, provide a constant factor of hp/torque loss when paired to a given source of twisting force.

I think you have to figure acceleration in somewhere.
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote