View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #7
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael-k View Post
Wow -- nothing for more than 1.5 years! Well, perhaps I can revive it.
At least, I think that this is the 'official' '19+ Bose upgrade thread -- yes?

At first, all I knew about the audio system was that I could add a subwoofer. But then I saw the https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT955/zen-avb-gm.html
I love this thing! It (I believe) will allow me to do a really custom system.

I saw some other companies mentioned --
https://axxessdsp.com/
https://pac-audio.com/
Looks like PAC has just cables (for Camaros).
How does the AX-DSPX compare to the ZEN AVB unit? Anyway, it's just for Chrysler right now.

There is 1 important issue I need to know about the ZEN box -- can the OEM unit be put back in? Say there's a problem with the audio/navigation/climate control system. Does any wiring or anything have to be modified to install the ZEN box?
Right now there's actually NOTHING available on the market that will specifically work with the IOS/IOT code system for the 2019+ Camaros with Bose/nav.

NAV TV has suspended production of the ZEN AVB due to the chip shortage. None of the other systems you mention are actually engineered to integrate seamlessly into the factory system using General Motors IO data architecture and hardware harness plug designs.

The ZEN was the only device on the market that was literally plug and play, removing the factory Bose amp and plugging the ZEN in into it's place. It takes the 9 speaker multiplex digital data and mixes/decodes it down to 4 speaker, 2 channel analog audio with RCA outputs for standard 12 volt analog car stereo aftermarket amplifiers. It retains all factory chimes, turn signals, backup sensor indicators, and all other reminders. It also eliminates the active bass rolloff the factory uses to keep you from blowing your rear package shelf woofers by reducing bass boost as you turn the volume up, and gives you full bandwidith to all channels eliminating the crossed over tweeters in the doors and woofers in the rear package shelf.

I am not sure how well the other products would work in our cars, but the ZEN is really the only one I've read that actually does at least what I want - a full range signal 4 speaker, 2 channel stereo that includes all factory chimes.

You have to be careful and read everything on these other vendor's website pages. I just briefly looked at axxess - they say it's compatible with the IOS/IOT system which is the Bose factory system, but in the description of the individual processor it says "compatible with non-amplified systems only". Well IOS/IOT is amplified. IOS is non-nav, IOT is with nav.

Frankly I would never trust any device made by a company that cannot get the specifics of the actual device accurate on their website. These are complex systems in modern cars and you need the EXACT component that is engineered SPECIFICALLY for your exact year/make/model/trim.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote