View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 10:46 AM   #39
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
This is "gross" hp and not "net" at the engine. Bigger cams have been known to produce power numbers even closer to a stock ZL1.

I have been able to get somewhat close to the stock LT1 SAE power rating, the peak power and torque is usually about 500 rpm or so lower than what it should be. Problem is I can't simulate a continuous phasing of the camshaft, but I can run it in its factory calibrated 8-10 degrees retard position at high rpms and get closer to the SAE LT1 rating, but I have to run different simulations.

If you were using Ricardo Wave that should be way more accurate than what I am using, that's a high dollar expensive industry only software?

I got a grant to use Wave while in school, that was about 12 yrs ago so I can only imagine how good it is now! Even back then you could take a manifold in CAD, run fluid dynamics sim and then feed that info to Wave. Of course you can start out with a generic manifold and specify only the dimensions, then run sims to optimize it before making a CAD model, this is mostly what I did with it as I was more interested in theory than making a production part, although it was used for the school's FSAE car. It was slow going back then, every virtual experiment took the computer overnight to crunch the numbers, I bet my current computer would do it in seconds.