View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 07:42 PM   #6
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Let's be honest, although I detest left lane hoggers with a passion and am happy to move right myself when not passing, the 'keep right' rule on a multilane highway is questionable IMO. Imagine if everyone adhered to it, traffic would basically be restricted to a single file, and how would these scared operators ever safely merge from a ramp into a solid stream of vehicles in the right lane? Or should we have another rule to open up the right lane a quarter or half mile before every merge point?

Any way you slice it, the rule forces a higher number of lane changes, which is definitely a risk factor, the more frequently these inattentive drivers attempt a lane change, the higher the crash probability. It's also slightly unnatural, once you have your lane, intuition suggests to just stay there.

To contribute an actual idea, I would set up an arrangement between driving schools and insurance companies to scale the premium according to different capability levels, and link them to passing actual, tough road tests. Like the minimum requirement back in Hungary where I'm from, I swear at least half the people I see on NJ roads wouldn't pass even the basic "vehicle operation" segment there (test course with cones and hills and various parking setups), let alone the actual road test.
Most "highways" in the northeast US are poorly designed.
The right lane should be for exit and entrance traffic and merging. "Local" traffic.
The second lane should be for normal traffic.
The left lane should be for overtaking.
There should be no less than three lanes for any road considered limited access highway, interstate, turnpike, or toll road.

Driver ability has fallen rapidly in recent years. In this area it seems NY is the biggest offender. Since 9/11 we have had a big influx of NY tags and horrible road manners, this summer it has gotten exponentially worse with the increased urban flight.

Stopping at green lights during a right hand turn. No lane discipline. No regard for traffic signals. Swinging left to make a right turn and vice versa. Coming out of a two way street making a left turn from the left lane(wrong side of the road). Sitting through green lights....

I could go on, and on.

It seems a drivers license is just issued with no testing anymore.

Worst seems to be MA drivers.