View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #20
Jastone

Drives: 98 TA, 10 Sierra, 17 XT5, 17 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
You coming out to the track on Thursday (Aug 10th)? If it doesn't rain I think I'm going to go. I'm just trying to decide if I should sign up for Novice or Intermediate. I'm leaning toward intermediate because I'm worried I'll get stuck behind slow cars the majority of the time in Novice.

During Camaro Fest this year I ran on a track for the first time (NCM). I started out in Novice 1 (A), but it was boring. When I finally got out front, it only took me a couple minutes to start encountering lapped cars. As soon as the session was over an instructor told me I needed to be bumped up to Novice 2(B). I then ran as the second car in the B group the rest of the day. I stayed right with the lead car without any trouble. I would have been very comfortable driving faster, given the opportunity.

The only thing that makes me a little nervous about signing up for intermediate is that I have never driven on the pittrace track before. I'm positive I'll be fine running in intermediate after a few laps.

Any words of wisdom?

I won't be able to make the August 10 date (wish I could though).

Knowing what I know now I would've started in the intermediate class from the start. But like I said, I didn't want to get in the way or feel pressured and make a fatal mistake. The course isn't overly technical or too fast either. I'd venture to think that if you have had any significant track time behind the wheel and feel comfortable with how it responds to your inputs you'd be fine in intermediate. But really only you and your performance can answer that. I will say that the first 2 sessions in Novice I was definitely STUCK behind other cars. I made it a point to get out in the starting grid ASAP for the final session and only had 1 car in front of me. Then after passing him it only took 3 laps to catch back up to the back of the field.

In between my sessions I was watching the intermediate and advanced classes. My times were faster than most in the intermediate and comparable to some of the advanced. The open passing in the advanced would make me feel uneasy (dive bombers). But the intermediate still has controlled point by passing zones, and I wouldn't have been in anyone's way.

My advice, you know what you can do. A ZL1 at Pitt Race with an experienced driver isn't gonna see too many (if any) tailights.

Do you have PDR in you ZL1? If so post up the video when you do go to Pitt Race. I'd love to see how it runs there for sure. These 6th Gens are very well balanced cars, and my 1LE is exceptional on track. But I know I left a lit on the track there too. I'd imagine that ZL1 could put down some pretty quick time.

Either way enjoy!! And let us know how it goes.