View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 03:20 PM   #42

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
My 2017 Impala has a lot of "Driver Assistance Systems"...So far none have caused any problems for me....Adaptive Cruise Control, Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning, Side Blind Zone Alert, Lane Change Alert, Forward Automatic Braking...lol...I think that's all...lol....I believe all can be turned off, if desired, with either a switch of some kind, or in Vehicle Personalization.

Never had a vehicle with any of these features before, except for good old fashioned cruise control....I'm not 100% familiar with all of them yet, but I'll take 'em. If any of them keep me from an accident, especially rear ending someone else, I'll take it. I'm not too proud to say they may help in an emergency or brain-fart on my part....lol...

What if I drop dead behind the wheel from a heart attack, or get shot dead by another driver?...At least I know the car will likely safely stop and not hurt anyone else...lol..

My driving record is stellar...no tickets or accidents in over 40 years of driving. Yet, so far I'm getting a kick out of some of these features....Back up camera, rear cross traffic alert, for example are something I never thought I'd have in a car of mine, yet now they are, plus a lot more. They are not an affront to my "driving skills", rather more as they are described..."to Assist"...

However, once a whole generation of drivers get on the road that have always had these features, I can see where a less than 100% attention to driving will become more tolerable and/or taken for granted by new drivers....

Everyone these days is used to power steering and power brakes....Imagine the total shock from a driver that always had them, but they suddenly stop working. I doubt many of them would realize what to do, or how to drive without them. I think in the future these safety features will become more than an assist, but will be a taken for granted as an unseen crutch. This will only create the need for more improved technology assistance, rather than more practical driver education or driver safety habits.

Just my $.02
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote