View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #38
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Cool videos and all but some of those stops were unreasonably dangerous and could have been potentially hazardous to vehicles around you.. You might come to a full stop and not hit a dog but get plowed into by a 18 Wheeler behind you who can't stop as quickly as you can. I personally
Bogus argument. At any time there may be someone behind you following too close and you may have to emergency-stop. If it's a kid on a bike or a moose around here, having someone rear-end you is preferable to the alternative, but it'll be their fault for following too close. With these systems, you can usually "overpower" them, add gas, etc, at least that's the way mine worked.

BTW, my system wouldn't brake for a dog, kid, or stationary car, the only thing it would slow down for is moving targets, so if someone pulls into your lane/in front of you, it recognizes this and slows down, especially if they do it suddenly. There's a video on this site of a guy in a nice camaro doing what has to be a lot over the speed limit and then someone pulls out in front of him from an entrance, he t-bones the car pulling out. Both of their faults, but mostly the fault of the car pulling out for misjudging speed/not making sure it was clear, but it's highly likely the system in my BMW would have saved the day, as it detects that movement well in advance (before it's actually in the lane) and would have been slowing. The only part about the system that was kind of annoying was while on adaptive cruise, it "freaks out" a bit if the car in the NEXT lane goes into your lane and waits for what seems like an eternity to make sure your lane is clear again, however, this is the exact behavior/programming that would have saved that T-bone accident.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote