View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 02:27 AM   #49
ggaites

Drives: 2021 ZL1 6MT
Michelins for the tame (or wet, perhaps)

I had a 2017 1SS (A8,NPP) that I bought new and was on my 6th set of tires in 2 years. Changed the run flats at 6,000 miles to PSS and went to the track. Tried some ContiSport Contact on the rear which were junk so burned them up and put on 10" and 11" ZL1 size wheels with PS4's. Used those at the track and was on my 3rd set of PS4's when GM bought the car back at 42,000 miles. I swapped the wheels back to stock before turning it in and shelved the wide ones (PS4's had only 2000 miles).

I got my 2019 SS 1LE and the SC3's impressed me so much I put the PS4's/wheels for sale. The Goodyears have more grip. Felt like I'd be going backwards if I put the Michelins on. Haven't tracked the Goodyears yet, but the PS4's got greasy after 12 minutes on a tight track and I expect these likely will too. But you can't get there on the street.

I got the 1LE in April and I'm well into my 2nd set of SC3's at 11,500 miles. First set lasted @7000. I just picked up my 3rd set from Tire Rack at the closeout deal and put them on the shelf because it won't be long. Haven't checked the date codes yet but I don't care (<$800/set). The longest I went on PS4's was @8,000 so wear seems comparable. PS4's have 1/32" deeper tread I think.

I loved the SS. The 1LE is soooo much better! No regrets...love the seats, love the stick, MRC is awesome, and the rear end grips unbelievable. Better tires (PSC2, Trofeo R) don't work cold and cost a buttload so the SC3's are ideal for me. And the prices have been great. Even getting these to temp takes some doing on the street, and then they work fantastic.

I drive every day, hard... like 9-11mpg. Front rotors are pretty well dished and I'm looking for pads... Anyone got some stock take-offs?