View Single Post
Old 03-28-2023, 12:08 AM   #4
DPE

Drives: 2023 1SS
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking fluid of course but assumed I'd need pads as well. Andy, that's impressive that the car works that well on OEM pads? What happens to the rotors? Do they just eventually crack? Pretty cheap consumable; wouldn't bother me to replace a set or two before upgrading. I may even run stock tires for a while just to use them; bought a square Apex setup during their recent sale, but don't have tires yet.

Ordinarily I'd just get the bigger brakes before or right after my car shows up (hopefully in the next month or two), but between the expected expense of getting a car, a large tax bill and an some unexpected medical bills (such are having your kids play sports), I should probably go easy on the bank account for a bit. If the car can work on mostly OEM parts, perhaps I'll start there after all.

Just have bad memories; got a Civic Type R four years ago (that I just sold), and my first track day was cut rather short when the OEM tires were chunking out the shoulders on the second session. Awesome car in a lot of ways and I'll miss it, but between crap factory tires on too-large wheels, the motor getting hot and pulling power unless it's below 60, and the annihilation of rear brake pads due to mostly non-defeatable torque vectoring, the R doesn't mean 'Race' apparently. Nurburgring time notwithstanding. At least the front brakes were mostly solid, though of course they had to use drilled rotors to look cool which just means you get to replace them due to cracking between the holes on a fairly regular basis.