View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #1
04lss

Drives: 21 Camaro, 99 Tahoe, 14 audi s4
19 Stang GT vs 21 Camaro LT1 (from an owner)

Being new to the forum. I want to contribute as I know im going to be asking a lot of questions over the next few months. Here are some thoughts on the current gen mustang GT (in my case a 19 base GT) vs the 2021 camaro LT1

Worth noting, I got rid of the mustang after less than a year due to it having major Reliability issues. I am not taking those issues into account for anything below.

Id argue that comparing the LT1 to the mustang GT is a far comparison, as the out the door price is very similar. The SS takes it into a different realm.

The mustang had the upgraded radio and auto climate control, but those were the only options (mainly for android auto)

Interior

Interior Design:
I like the design of the camaro interior better. Its a lot more modern in terms of styling and its just nicer to look at. With that said, chevy materials quality leaves a lot to be desired. The mustangs retro styling has its charm, but the fit and finish wasn't quite as good.

The mustang had better switch gear, hands down. From the toggle switches to the push button start. The tactility of it was better. The start button in the camaro feels like a cheap keyboard button.

Gauges:

Hands down mustang, the retro gauges were big, evoked a muscle car feel, and had cool thematically fitting fonts. I had the analog in the stang not the digital. The camaro dials are "fine" but they don't enhance the theme and experience of the car the way the stang gauges did.

Ergonomics: Stang for the win. If only because i cant use the darn center console without stopping the car.

Climate control :
I give this its own category because i really really like the climate control in the camaro. the vent gauges are an excellent touch as is the way the display works. Hands down camaro.

Visibility:

Mustang No brainer. (one of the reasons i bought the mustang over an ss in 19) I will say the camaro is better than expected and way better than a challenger, though i still need a blindspot mirror for the drivers side.

Seats:

I have the base cloth seats in the camaro, and had the base seats in the stang. I hand the W to the camaro for comfort. Though i do wish the lumbar adjusted.

Shift knob:

MUstang, if only because replacing it was as easy as unscrewing the factory one.

Performance:

Engine:
This one is tricky as it comes down to what you like. The gen 3 coyote is a really cool engine, but you have to rev it to do anything fun. It WANTS to be over 4k if youre driving aggressively. Wind it up and off you go.

The LT1 by contrast has torque EVERYWHERE you can tap the throttle and it just starts rolling, but it doesnt have that sort of frantic feel of the coyote once you start climbing in revs.

If you like boosted power curves of low end grunt and linear power the LT1 is the winner (my preference to be sure)

If you are a fan of NA screamers the coyote is great.

Power delivery is a draw as its preference

However. The coyote has to win points for having the dual injection system. Adding port fuel to the DI system allows for very easy fueling upgrades. A bone stock coyote can take an SC and make 700 wheel And all it takes are some injectors and a pump re-wire to make that 900.

My understanding is that you have to upgrade to the Zl1 fuel system, and potentially upgrade the DI pump lobe on the cam to reach those numbers on the camaro.

Exhaust:
Stock for stock the mustang wins. My specific LT1 without the active exhaust is too quiet. I am already looking to replace the axleback. The stang was loud enough that windows down you heard the exhaust regardless of rpm or gear, but quiet enough that windows up and it mostly dissapeared.

Handling:

Hands down the Camaro. The stang was very soft, and floaty. the Camaro is far more confident. It corners flatter, handles bumps better and still has a compliant ride.

Overall:

I give the W to the camaro because the chasis is better and i prefer the LT1 character to the coyote. Ignoring the reliability concerns (yeah thats a big thing to ignore) the Stang is A surpisingly good vehicle in base GT trim. I will say the engine bay on the camaro is FAR FAR easier to manage than the DOCH coyote. Thats another big w for the camaro.

I have tried to give my honest assessment of both cars strengths and weaknesses. I am not trying to offend, insult or anything.
04lss is offline   Reply With Quote