Thread: Procharger Cam
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 12:56 AM   #24
SS2017_MJB

Drives: 2017 SS Coupe 2SS 8AT (427CI, D1X)
Right Camshaft Specs for a 427 CI LT1 Texas Speed Long Block, Procharger D1X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Yes that cam is for a centri, true that, and a bigger engine can take a larger cam, true that. But that "race cam for the track" right from the description. i.e. it gets towed. Is that what you want? On pump gas and 10.5 CR, it may offer NO HP on the top end vs a smaller cam, now on E85 / meth and 14 PSI of boost at 7000 RPM it would be up dunno say 50 HP over a 3/4 street cam.

"Cam will have an aggressive, race car type idle and strong upper midrange and upper RPM power. This camshaft must be used in vehicles equipped with properly selected headers, high flow exhaust, increased stall speed torque converter and high flow intake systems.

If you are looking for an excellent mild race cam for the track, this camshaft is a great choice."

Note the "race car type idle",

Even CM's super hot 232 / 250 which is for a max effort 6.2 is VASTLY smaller than the cam you are looking at. The only thing that you matched is the your engine size, which is really a secondary consideration, as a smaller engine can be spun higher.

Ligenfelter is making over 1400 HP on their GT35 cam
https://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/gra...20Kit%20v1.jpg

Specifications: intake/exhaust
Duration @ .050 valve lift 210 / 237
Lift with 1.8 rocker .640 .650 LSA 116.5
6.5 mm fuel pump lobe

If you are Joe Normal and this a pump gas ride, I'd look at there two
226/242
or
230 / 246
I don't like lift so mine is sub .600 your valvetrain life will and may vary. Oh and you better have some serious springs in that bad boy if you want to do standard lift .650 and over 7000 RPM, checkum change um every 20K miles, inconel valves (or titanium). I like the conical springs myself. As NOTHING on the stock valvetrain is usable IMO.
https://www.compcams.com/conical-val...2-at1-170.html

Just an example I have no idea which one will work for your inconel / titanium valve, titanium retainer setup.

I like the NK844 stuff:https://www.lsxceleration.com/manley...alves-12352-8/

I like this as it is solid, the factory LT4 titanium is great and all, but at some point with valve bounce and abuse a solid valve of similar strength material (way heavier) is going to be better, just realize it is going to take even more spring to control it, at least the head is undercut slightly.

Inconel for the exhaust
https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...l#.XiJNXshKguU
Selection of an appropriate camshaft was a major topic of discussion with the performance shop handling a major build for my 2017 Camaro SS A8 Coupe, where I asked them to balance power for strip with driveability for street, so this thread really interested me and I would like an opinion. Although it is a bit after the fact, I would like some opinions as to whether the custom spec-d shaft is right fit for engine and application. (I will get car back in a few days after waiting nearly 3 months for project so I will refer back to this conversation). A new Texas Speed 427CI LT1 Darton-sleeved long block with all forged internals, ported CNC LT1 heads, Johnson 2110R lifters, etc. is the platform. I upgraded from a P1X to a D1X Procharger w/Stage2 intercooler and Race BPV after switchout of OEM 376CI. Fuel system is LT4 injectors, LT4 high side pump, DSX low side, meth injection. Kooks 1 7/8 FLT headers, cat delete, BorlaS is exhaust. FTI 3200rpm torque converter added-I wanted lower stall speed vs higher (so don't blame them).

Here are the FI cam specs per builder intended to produce decent HP/solid torque but not be peaky, very good drive-ability, modest lopey idle:

Custom TSP Camshaft w/32% Fuel Lobe
.229/.244 .635/.635 115 +5

On 93 pump with meth, it yields 806 RWHP/705 RWTQ. With E-85 attains another 20-30HP, but fuel system limits E85% to 50% or less (30-40% they recommend after dyno & street tuning done). Dyno charts provided - 2nd graph is E85 tune revised for fuel system limits at top end . BTW the base was 502 RWHP on OEM LT1 w/P1X & headers (& bad tune by original installer shop in MD).

Good choice?
Attached Images

Last edited by SS2017_MJB; 01-20-2020 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Change email notification setting
SS2017_MJB is offline   Reply With Quote