View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #11
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17txcamaross View Post
It would seem I have run the system until all bubbles were gone. I have used a funnel, tubing and depressing the valve with a broad tip flathead screwdriver. I had the system running for 30 minutes or more including kicking it on and off and starting the car in order to avoid battery drain. My reasoning for thinking there is still some air in the system is that the car is consistently in the 140 degree IAT2 (IAT after bricks). I feel like this is waaaayyy too high, however, I still have not received much feedback on what a stock ZL1 runs for IAT2 temps. One more note is following the car sitting when going into a store, etc. the temps get up in the 160-170 range and then pretty quickly drop...to the high 140s. Really the lowest I have seen is 64 degrees outside (low humidity) and still blower temps in the 120s...again a nearly 60 degree delta.

My ride is LT1 with the LT4 blower (2.3 upper at approx 610whp) and I would expect much lower temps with the WX system adding additional coolant.

What kind of temps can I expect out of this system? I mean this morning it is 84 degrees here in Houston and 54% humidity. I would not expect a nearly 60 degree delta between ambient and IAT2 temps. I have to get this solved or at least reassurance that somehow this temperature range is "normal" for the ZL1. I don't want to cause harm to either the blower or worse...the engine.

That doesn’t sound right to me. I watch my IAT2s from time to time on my P3 gauge. At a steady cruise with good airflow over the heat exchangers (like a freeway drive), my IAT2s are maybe 10-15 degrees above ambient.

When parking the car with a hot engine (like when going into a store for 20 minutes), it’s very normal for the temps to climb — but they should come back down to normal with some airflow. Still, I’ve never seen temps anywhere near what you’re reporting. I know it’s not nearly as hot on the California coast as it is in Houston, but we get the occasional heat wave. I’ve driven this car in 90+ degree weather, and have not experienced what you have.

I’ll look at some of my logs and pay closer attention to my live readings next time I drive the car, but I definitely think there’s air in your system or something else wrong.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote