View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #93
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invertalon View Post
If you trade in to a dealer, they could care less about what is on your CarFax... If you sell privately, if you take your own records in excel or some other means, that is far more valuable than what CarFax may show, IMO. I keep an Excel log for all the cars I work on and keep detailed notes on what was done, what fluids, mileage, etc... If I was buying a used car privately, I'd much more appreciate something like this over what is shown on a CarFax.
This is not true.

Dealerships DO care about what's shown on the CarFax if it has any influence on making it harder for them to dispose of the car. And they will 100% use any negative marks against you.

If your car looks and runs like it has been maintained and is in good condition, then it is true that a dealership will not care if a CarFax shows no maintenance records.

I agree with you that a private seller that wants to hand over a file folder of receipts or any level of documentation about maintenance on their car shows me that they cared about/for the vehicle, no matter what any 'report' from a third-party would show.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote