Thread: hurst shifter
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by batone View Post
I have the factory hurst short throw shifter, although I am not concerned about shift speeds( i have no plans to race mine), the T handle shifter will not change the height of the shifter much if any. The factory shifter doesnt have a "ball", it has an odd shaped leather covered knob. I just dont like the feel of it.
If you have the factory Hurst short throw shifter, you will have to swap out the entire shifter for an aftermarket shifter. The factory Hurst short throw shifter uses the factory shift knob and attachment method, which means that the knob is pressed on to the shaft. All these people who are saying that you can just screw the knob off and screw on another one think you have an aftermarket Hurst short throw shifter, which is a completely different design.
There's a thread on this site where someone removed the pressed on knob and actually threaded the top of the shaft with a dye, so he could use an aftermarket knob on a factory shaft. It worked, but it seemed like a lot of trouble to me, just to avoid doing the obvious thing....replacing the shifter with an aftermarket one.
I agree with you about the factory 2010-12 shift knob. It's awful. It was one of the first things that had to go in my car. I replaced my shifter with a MGW shifter. I ordered the shifter with a "ZL1" shaft. This allows me to use a 2013-14 shift knob and boot, which is a huge improvement. Hope this helps.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote