View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Buy used truck sight unseen - shipped to me - anyone?

So call me crazy....or not. I want to hear your opinion, thoughts, experiences.

I know "conventional" wisdom says to never ever buy a car, especially used, without gazing upon it yourself, and test driving. But I am starting to consider the option of buying a vehicle sign unseen, aside from pictures and whatever details I can dig up. Then, I'd have it shipped to me.

I'll spare you the details, but this approach will allow me to widen my search considerably...if not go nationwide and get the best deal possible. Why not just drive and enjoy... or buy a one way plane ticket you say? Well....time is not something I have much of these days so I can't be spending a day or days on the road. Also, I'm fairly sure I can arrange shipping with a repudable company for the same or less cost than flying somewhere and driving back.

There are also new and used car inspection services where you can hire out someone to inspect a car for you and give you a report. These seem to run around $100 or more.

My thoughts: 1) find what I want 2) discuss option of buying sight unseen and arranging shipping with seller (preferably a repudable dealership) 3) Run the VIN to get vehicle history reports and maintenance reports 4) hire a company to inspect the vehicle for me 5) arrange shipment (maybe the dealer can recommend a shipping company?)

Anyways, I figure the more I know the better, so here I am asking. I appreciate any feedback you can give me.