View Single Post
Old 07-30-2022, 05:34 PM   #107
GXP08jrf

Drives: 2016 1LT 'Vert
Made my own slot

Quote:
Originally Posted by L98 Z28 View Post
Did anyone ever try making a slot in the original regulator for the extra clip?

FWIW. I did create a slot in my regulator to accept the additional clip on my passenger side.

I had actually purchased a new regulator as a replacement, but when I saw how involved it would be to replace it, I decided to create the slot in the old regulator while it was still in the vehicle. If it didn't work, no worries, I'd just replace the regulator, but I felt milling the hole would be quicker and easier.

First I created a cardboard template using the new regulator as a guide. The template is located by the two vertical studs on the top of the reg. I used a sharpie to transfer the slot positions onto the cardboard and an xacto to cut them out.

At the vehicle I lremoved the trim to gain access to the regulator and placed the template over the vertical studs and nuts. Again using a sharpie to "transfer" the position of the new slot to the old regulator. I used a center punch to mark the center of the radii at the ends of the slot and drilled through. I had a shop vac nozzle trained on the bit to pick up loose fragments and chips of metal to minimize risk of them getting into the linkages and elswhere. Still quite messy.

I hogged out the remainder of the slot using a dremel and an appropriate attachments. I made the slot undersize initially and fine-tuned the size with the dremel until I was happy with it.

So far, upon replacing the linkages & rail (all of which were bent to hell), the slider and the closeout panel (which was also broken beyond use), all seems to be working as excpected. I'm sure I have several dozen operations on the top since the repair. I will say the passenger side is silent, the driver's side continues to creak as the top articulates. I'm keeping an eye on it. When the driver's finally side gives up, I plan to use the template again, but upside down...

As a side note, when I replaced the linkage that is attached with two rivets, I used screws and lock nuts. The rivets provided have a larger shank than my rivet tool was able to accomodate. This seemed to be the case unless I wanted to spend $$$ for a more "professional" tool. Less than $10 at the local hardware store for screws and nuts seemed like a better option.
GXP08jrf is offline   Reply With Quote