View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 04:48 PM   #101
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by drstancpa View Post
Curiously, has anyone tried to just cut a small hole in the old regulator for the new clip? I was thinking of taking a dremel and routing out the hole for the new trim clip, but I wondered if someone else had tried and failed, or someone smarter than me knew why that was a really terrible idea. I figured worst case I'd have to have it replaced, which as of now I'm going to have to do anyhow.
I did not try that when I replaced mine, I removed the additional retaining clip.

My issue was the arm that holds the spring broke off the trim panel door on the LH side. But, I replaced both sides. I figured if the LH side failed, the RH side, being the old design, would probably fail soon too.

Anyway, after looking at it, you might could drill a pilot hole, then using a Dremel, shape it into a slot for that new 3rd clip. But it's close, I suspect the new regulators are shaped a little differently to accommodate the additional 3rd retaining clip. Regardless, you don't have anything to loose by trying.

I can see how the additional retaining clip gives the quarter trim panel a little more support, but I didn't think I needed the 3rd clip because my issue was the arm the holds the spring broke off the trim panel door.

Photo 1: Yellow circle shows the additional reinforcement on the arm that retains the spring. Green circle is the new 3rd retaining clip.

Photo 2: New quarter upper trim panel installed. Red circle is what remains of the 3rd retaining clip mount.

Photo 3: Regulator panel with the red circle showing about where a slot would be needed to accommodate the new 3rd retaining clip.

--KLG--
Attached Images

2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote