Thread: Z/28 .R
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #12
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZ View Post
Good pointer. Thanks.
I recall those BOP debates from 2015, but that doesn't quite answer why the
Riley built non-Z/28.R was listed as eligible for GS in 2016, but the Z/28.R was not.
It was a very expensive race car. It was built by Pratt & Miller - the same guys who do the Corvette in GTLM.

The reason Stevenson was able to run them was because it was a factory-backed effort.

The GT350R-C was supposed to be a car offered to customers after initial development of the 3/4 2015 season. I believe Ford Performance and Multimatic found the car to be too much of a sensitive and potentially expensive car to put in the hands of main stream racers. The Mustang GT4 will likely not have the 5.2L Voodoo and will have CPC 5.2L engine, similar to the aftermarket Ford Performance engine they introduced at PRI 2015.

I am not sure why IMSA dropped the Z/28.R from the list late in the season. It was there until around VIR. I can say there was a lot of controversy over the running of the Z/28.R and Chevy... influencing... the rules in order to get a championship before pulling out of CTSCC. Again, this is just wispers.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote