View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 08:42 AM   #16
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future1LEa10 View Post
I've owned two 17 challenger SCATs and a 17 Charger 392 Daytona. If you are looking for 90% the performance of the SS but with way more livable space inside, this is the right car.

The infotainment is 10x better in the challenger/charger. The ZF8 speed trans is crispier too. Much tighter shifts when in sport/track mode. They are fantastic cars out of the box.

Now with that being said, they are dead ends to mod. The ECM is encrypted and needs to be swapped with a hardware hacked one if you even want a tune. Tunes with the ECM are like $1500 for maybe 30hp. And all other mods are corvette level taxed/expensive.

On top of that, the engine internals are glass. You are very limited on boost/hp if you want to put on a blower. 600hp MAYBE - borrowed time.

So to put it nicely, these are great cars if all you want to do is drive them and have something quick. If you are a car guy and want to mod, then you will need deep pockets to get a 392 over that 600hp hump safely. Which begs the question that all scat owners who want more power ask. WHY DIDN'T I JUST GET A HELLCAT.

Think about that question good and hard. Especially when you can lease them for pennies on the dollar. Challengers especially and chargers almost as good. A hellcat lease would be the same money wise as a straight up buy for a 392.

My advice would be to lease (or buy if you can afford) a hellcat. But if you are ok with the stock power-level and do not plan to mod, then get the 392. Out of the box, dodge did them all correct with the chassis and powertrain they have. Great cars.

PS I wouldnt buy another one./

If the Hellcat was a reasonable choice, there would be no debate. I would probably swap into a Hellcat immediately vs keeping the SS. At one time, yes, the Hellcat's were able to be leased very well. That is not the case anymore. The money factor (lease interest rate) is horrible on Charger's in general.. you would have to get some SERIOUS money off to even begin to make sense of the deal. It is typically better to finance and sell after 2/3 years vs leasing, as they tend to hold they value well.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote