View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 11:49 PM   #36

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfutur View Post
The LT1 was needed to stay competitive with Mustang/Challenger. I get the tradition of the V8 muscle car, and at one time there was a huge performance difference between V8s compared to smaller engines. Not so much now.

The LT1 still $7K more than the V6 (base model + auto + RS Pkg for both) before tax & freight. Add to that 40% more fuel cost than the V6: 20% less mpg + 20% more for premium every time you fill up. That's quite a price disparity and op cost for 1 second less 0-60.

I'm a traditional muscle car guy...as few options as possible for the desired performance. Once a muscle car gets loaded up with nice to have but non-essential options, a 4 door performance sedan is a better value.

I bought my RS for how it looks and how it sounds (much better now with the Borla Atak axle-back). I'm not drag-racing from every stoplight (just from some :-), have no interest in tracking, (even if I had an SS), so all that extra HP for the V8 is essentially wasted because it's seldom needed, certainly not in urban/suburban driving where 90%+ of driving is done.
The V6 purchases and reasons for it you mention above would have been made whether or not there was a LT1 available. The V6 should be less expensive and more economical. But it does not provide a V8 that others would prefer. Its great to have options and choices. Nothing at all wrong with a V6 or non-SS. But an LT1 being a lower cost V8 would be more affordable to those who would not buy a V6 simply because it cost less.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote