View Single Post
Old 12-23-2021, 06:07 AM   #12
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I know we had a thread about it but I am (and I think other people are as well) still confused about the oil pump alignment. I can't remember what the factory manual calls for, and I don't have it on this computer with me right now, but I figure it just says use the tool no matter what. I just don't get how someone said you don't have to use the alignment tool on a new pump. It seems to me like it wouldn't matter and may even be more critical on a new pump.

And second, honestly I have used the super expensive factory "alignment tool" and I still feel like even with it you could still pretty easily slip and misalign it. It also aligns by pushing the pump body up against a rounded surface that is tilted, which obviously would seem a lot better to make a tool that lets the pump butt up against a straight edge surface to align with.

Anyway, after buying it and using it, it felt a lot less necessary. I also measured the dimensions of it and made a CAD model I stored somewhere if anyone wants it? It honestly would probably cost you just as much to buy a used tool than it would be to get some machined from aluminum from the CAD model, but if someone has a good 3D printer that has decent dimensional accuracy and can print a relatively hard material, I don't see why it couldn't be 3D printed?
the tool is less than 40 bucks. from all the post and build videos they say just for reusing the old pump on same motor like a repair or cam swap. I guess it wears the rotors a certain way and this puts them back where they original were set either high up or low on the crank. think of at as putting lifters back in the spot I guess.
Attached Images

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote