View Single Post
Old 10-29-2019, 12:22 PM   #42
Jimmy'18

Drives: 2011 Silverado
TTY? Not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
So we need 2 of each of these right? 6 bolts in total?
Nick, in case you're still wondering, there are 2 bolts per rear side that are "supposed" to be replaced. One for camber, the other for toe adjustment. 4 bolts total.

I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents on this thread. At 4,000 miles currently, my suspension felt like it was a mess and the steering wheel was off center. I've always done my own alignments and get even tire wear and high mileage, so I figured let's get busy on the Camaro.

So, I proceed to check the front. Toe-in was about +0.2*, but the camber was off at -1.0* and -1.1* driver and passenger side respectively. (Specs are -0.75*) The front knuckle bolts were SO TIGHT, I snapped my breaker bar where the socket attaches and my forearms crashed into the fender lip causing golf-ball sized dents. Luckily, I have a PDR glue kit and rods and know how to use them. I had to get my huge impact wrench out to finish the job. These bolts are supposedly reusable. Front alignment is now perfect and feels awesome.

Moving to the rear, it's got toe-out of -0.2*. Worse is the camber at -1.6* and -1.4*. Specs are +0.2* toe-in and -1.0* camber. The passenger rear was visibly more negative than the driver's side and that really bugged me.

Preparing for the worst based on my experience with the front knuckle bolts, I crawl under the car with my heaviest duty breaker bar and sockets. I also had my regular Craftsman 1/2" ratchet. I tried that first while noting that the factory blue paint marks haven't moved, so that's good to see. To my surprise, all camber and toe bolts broke loose easily. There couldn't have been more than 40-50 foot pounds of tension - maybe less. They just backed off with no issue.

I'm reusing mine - and I tightened them slightly tighter but nowhere near 100+ ft lbs plus angle. If these were TTY head bolts (I build HP boat engines) I'd definitely be purchasing new ARP hardware. But, like many of you said, I can't imagine these bolts are one-use-only on an adjustable part. Why aren't the front?

I just thought I'd post my experience based on what I read above where the dealer couldn't comment on whether they reused the bolts or not. B.S., they reused them. I suppose if I tracked a ZL1 I wouldn't take a chance, but this is a DD. Again, just my .02c

Stock for now
Jimmy'18 is offline   Reply With Quote