View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #11
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
I don't see engine load on the chart? Heavy Throttle in High gears at low RPMs is not ok for any engine. Aka lugging. You are putting the engine at a disadvantage https://youtu.be/soJea7xEt-8

Best definition I've found for lugging, at any combination of load and RPM that results in "unsmooth" acceleration. Sure you can go full load and lowish RPM and have smooth acceleration albeit slowly but thats just extra load on the engine for no reason. If you had an automatic it's literally programmed not to do this.
What load to you think it being presenting in an "SAE certified power" chart? This is rhetorical. It's WOT. Even if that's not explicitly stated in that chart circulating the internet. What the chart shows is SAE has certified the LT1 will make *that* power and torque from 1000 to 6000 RPM, and it's provable by taking your engine and putting in a dyno cell and running it across the same RPM band. It demonstrates that running WOT at 1000 RPM is not damaging, in fact it has a guaranteed output.

What you're saying is you haven't found an actual technical answer on what "lugging" is. Automatic trans are literally programmed to give you peak acceleration at max requested load, regardless of the engines' breadth of capability. Bringing the automatic transmission strawman into the argument doesn't define the term "lugging". If we went further with the strawman, I'll bring up CVT's operating the engine solely at peak BMEP and peak BSFC RPMs. That doesn't help either to define "lugging", because in both instances we're only talking about getting peak performance out of the system, not defining a term on the outskirts of the operational window.

Is "lugging" defined as "WOT at idle"? Show some proof. In practice, even if you floored it at idle, going from 650 RPM to 1000 RPM takes about the time it takes you to get your foot to the floor. If we take one of the magazine tests, a timed 5-60 MPH, that means you'd have to be rolling in 1st at 632 RPM and then go WOT. Are the car magazines knowingly "lugging" the engine, or are they still within a reasonable operational window? Again, show proof either way.

"Lugging" is a leftover term for engines prior to the LSPI-controlled era, and is woefully confused with actual knock and LPSI events. As such, with certain engines in certain conditions, you could be "lugging" at 4k at part throttle. Others are perfectly operational at 400 RPM at WOT. Even then, this archaic term only applies to old engines without closed-loop knock and LSPI control. As such, I go back to my earlier point. GM left such a term in their manual as a legal "escape clause" to keep lazy calibrators from being a financial drain on the company with bad tuning.