Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEN View Post
i guess it depend on da area
in my place we have
- 98 octane
- 95 octane
- 91 octane the lowest
Please note that there are also two ways to determine the octane value of fuel:

Research Octane Number (RON) - This is what's used in most of the world. The testing is done using a 600rpm variable compression engine.
Motor Octane Number (MON) - This isn't used anywhere, not directly anyway. The testing is done using a 900rpm variable compression engine.

Then there's what's used in the US (and a few other countries):
AKI (Anti-Knock Index) or (R*M)/2.

If you take a fuel, and test it using RON and get a rating of 95, and take the same fuel and get a rating of 87 using MON, then you take (95+87)/2 = 91.

So when you see 95 octane on your pump, you are most likely actually seeing 95 octane RON. The pump should say RON somewhere on it. Look at it when you fuel your car up next time!

Those in the US see the text "(R*M)/2", meaning they use AKI.

Even though RON and MON don't have any DIRECT correlation to each other, it's most often like this:

95 RON = 91 (R*M)/2.
98 RON = 93 (R*M)/2.

So if a car says it wants 98 octane, then it's always going to be RON, if it says 93, then it will likely be AKI, or (R*M)/2.

EDIT: When I say "always", I mean in a stock car. Of course you can have your tuner tune your car for a 98 AKI fuel, but there are no cars that today require that high octane rating out there using AKI, from the factory.

// Stefan
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote