View Single Post
Old 09-27-2021, 08:41 AM   #21
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I'm not sure how good the stock wheel hubs can be if they fit all Camaro's! There is a big difference between a ZL1 going around a track and a 4 cylinder being driven on the street...
Stock bearings are pretty beefy. You'll be hard pressed to find anything that'll work much better without paying a ton for something specialized from what I've seen. My guess as to why it's common for all of them would be that the costs to design and implement different designs for different trims likely wouldn't be offset by the slight decrease in piece cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
NO, you and I see things pretty much the same. My point is that I don't think GM is installing X-tracker hubs in these cars at the factory, and it doesn't really matter. I don't worry about it all. From what I can see, these OE bearings hold up pretty well considering the hard lives some of us 1LE owners are putting them through. You can get OE AC Delco front hubs from Rockauto for $77ea, and I see no good reason to do anything else.
They're all X-tracker hubs. I've spoken to SKF directly in the past to confirm. X-tracker is primarily a bearing orientation design, and luckily GM went with this design for all the Camaro hubs (and likely many others) which keeps costs low. I agree with you that it's probably best to stick OE in this case. The SKF bearing is what went through all the development/validation at GM which includes some pretty serious track use. Others like Moog/Centric probably didn't, and their costs are likely higher simply because they aren't equipped to produce those parts at the volumes SKF does with no performance/quality benefit.