View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 09:06 PM   #172
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Well, yes, the LT1 makes more torque. It's a larger displacement pushrod engine. The Gen 3 Coyote makes 345 ft-lbs at 7k rpm. Just as the LT1 isn't designed to rev. and make that much torque at 7k rpm, the DOHC Gen 3 Coyote isn't designed to be a low rpm torque monster. And who races at 2k rpm anyway? Torque there only matters for daily driving and the Coyote is plenty for that.

But, the Gen 3 Coyote doesn't need to make as much torque because it has more rpms which yields similar power results with less torque. That said, given the displacement (307 c.i.) and DOHC config., 420 ft-lbs at 4600 rpm is pretty dang good.

The LT1 and Gen 3 torque curves are pretty close to the same shape about 1000 rpm apart with the Coyote making less torque, but since it is shifted up the rpm band, makes about the same amount of power. The LT1 is slightly flatter in the low rpm range, with the Coyote flatter at the high rpm range - which is why the A10+Gen 3 Coyote is such a good match. It is able to utilize optimal gearing and rpms to send torque to the rear wheels.

Both engines are very effective and there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Well said.

I had the first gen Cotote in my 2014 Mustang GT. Car revved quicker, and sounded good. I enjoyed ripping through the gears (though the MT-82 was weak compared to the Tremec).

I learned to road race in that car. It was plenty fast, though LS and LT engine counterparts would always pull on me on the straights.

The LT is also sweet, but in a different way. Lots of torque down low, but still pulls hard between 4000 and 6200. It takes longer to get through that range, with a wall of torque behind it, which is also nice.

Bot engines are certainly fun though. Looking forward to track the SS 1LE in 2 weeks. Will have a better impression when I've had a chance to rev it out on track

The Camaro chassis is way better though. Car is so composed and puts down power well. No excess body motions. Loving it so far.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote