View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 02:39 PM   #169
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
The LT1 is a very good engine, obviously, with modern tech. The Gen 3 Coyote is also a very good engine and pretty strong across the midrange up to 7500 rpm. The power band is surprisingly wide - I'd say from 3500 to 7500 rpm. Especially 4k and above.

High rpm is a hallmark of exotic engines. Think Lamborghini, Ferrari, and up to the extreme like Indy cars, F1, etc. A Coyote approaching 7500 rpm sounds pretty great, and is fun to take up there. It was also kind of cool to know that at 5000 rpm I was only 2/3 of the way to redline.

The Gen 3 Coyote has much more midrange torque than earlier Coyotes. With the A10 and 3.55s it was quite fun.
  • The Coyote revs 900 rpm higher than the LT1.
  • The LT1 produces 325 lb-ft torque off idle. The Coyote doesn't reach that until almost 3000 rpm and never does catch up.
  • The LT1's power rise is ~500-750 rpm earlier than the Coyote.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Coyote, or the thrill of going 900 rpm higher. Just saying the LT1 offers more performance ...in a different rpm range.

The LT1 is a high performance feat of engineering and it has consistently beaten the Coyote in every test.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote