View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #11
LiveWire195

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by danomar View Post
There is a good question as to whether or not audio sounds better using MyLink playing files versus using my iPhone as media player. I give a slight nod to my iPhone, but at speed, everything sounds a bit muddled.
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I feel a little bit better that someone else is going through the non-sense.

Regarding the usage of the Bluetooth, I did remember reading an article the quality of the audio streamed through there is lower than hard wired in.

I do think I found a sweet spot. I formatted the drive to FAT32 last night, and dumped all my music on it. Interestingly enough, I noticed transfer speeds to drives with FAT32 are much slower than NTFS file systems. Example being I copied the entire contents of the drive onto my computer before I formatted and it took roughly around 14-15 minutes. After the format to FAT32 copying the data back it first said it was going to take two plus hours. I reformatted the drive again to FAT32 and set the allocation size to 64 KBs (default is 32 KB for a 128 GB drive). The transfer then said it was going to take and hour and fifteen minutes.

I let the transfer finish, and just opened up the folder to ensure everything copied. During my review I noticed the "iTunes" folder was in there with databases for my music collection; so I deleted it. I suspect this was the reason that the head unit was crashing attempting to read those files. Seems like .ITL files cause the head unit to crash, and seems like a huge bug within the system. These results of course are based on my one commute into work today, as when I started this car this morning it took about 10 seconds to start playing music and no issues to report as of yet.

*** I also wanted to note that FAT32 file system doesn't sort files alphabetically automatically, as I ran into this issue in a previous situation with a project. There is a program entitled "DriveSort" that I used to sort everything after copying so it would be alphabetical.
URL: http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort/?lang=en

If the head unit is stable for a few days, I'm going to reattempt to format the drive to NTFS because it reads and writes much faster to the drive which would also allow the indexing time to be much shorter.
LiveWire195 is offline   Reply With Quote