View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #14
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
There are more differences w the ESP oil, different base stock AFAIK so totally different oil. GM gives a list of improvements over previous oils used.

IDK why anyone would use anything else. Saving a few bucks 1-2x a year on my $45k car to use inferior oil seems odd to me. Same with the filter, WIX XP is probably the best filter on the market.
It is a fact that the base stock of oils are mostly the same as there is less then a handful of companies that make them. These are refineries and not craft brewers of beers.

Curiously if you look at the approved list there is not a single Amsoil oil on that list which just tells you they didn't test against that spec but I suspect many of us think quite highly of Amsoil. The approved Gen2 list is actually expansive which again probably says that the changes are minimal. Then you can also see between say Quaker State and Mobil 1 there is a 25% price difference which further tells me this Gen2 testing is chasing this stuff down a rat hole. IF GM is so concerned about valves then why don't they give us dual injection like Ford or Toyota?

I was simply trying to point out that reasonably priced oil can be found easily and you can see that by going to gmdexos.com and look at their approved list. I'm a Mobil1 guy so I'll go with that and for 5 quarts it isn't more then a few bucks more but I remain unconvinced that it will do crap as to the longevity of my engine or help with pre-detonation from the turbo charger that isn't in my engine.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote