View Single Post
Old 02-19-2022, 04:50 PM   #1
Drateryako

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Bad Catalytic Converter Question

So i just recently bought a 2018 Camaro SS. The previous owner had LT headers and an aftermarket exhaust put on. There were no cats underneath at all and I live in an area with emissions testing so I figured I would get some put on, also wanted to get rid of some of the rasp.

Had a shop install high flow cats and not even a month later I could hear rattling inside the exhaust. Had it brought to my dealer and they confirmed that the right side cat was breaking up inside.

I'm going to the exhaust shop on monday to get it replaced since it is warrantied, what I want to figure out is when they get the cat cut out if it will be obvious what exactly caused it to go bad.

I don't know if I just got unlucky and got a defective cat or if its something else.

I'm pretty positive the previous owner had the vehicle tuned. Could that tune be a reason that the cat went bad so fast?

The only other reason I can think of is I hit a speed bump really hard at night about a week prior to hearing the noise, it basically had no paint on it and didn't see it until I was too close to slow down, maybe the speed and force on impact messed up the cat?

I know I threw a lot of random information out there, but like I said with the 3 reasons I gave is there anyway to tell which one it might be once they get the old cat cut out?

Thanks
Drateryako is offline   Reply With Quote