View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 01:10 PM   #29
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
I drove on my original run flats for 2 winters with no problem. It was fun. Easily controlled wheel spin. At least in a manual. Plus make sure trac. control and stab. is always on and all your spins straighten you right up keeping you in full control. I wore mine down to the safety bars then replace with Cooper RS3 tires. I'm happy with those.
Ahem. BS about being in control. Stability control is kicking the end straight, but you are not in "full control". Rolling the dice for sure. You are stopping on snow and ice with summers? Really? Or are you stopping, starting and driving on surfaces that are warmed by solar radiation and above freezing, even though the air temp may be below? I've driven a lot of RWD cars in the ice and snow and there are definitely places where you aren't really having to "do it" due to the environmental conditions, even though it snows, and in others, it's just lunacy to drive rear wheel drive with this little weight over the rear axle. I don't care how good you are at feathering the clutch, you'll just spin the wheels on impacted ice trying to start uphill and you'll look like an idiot at an intersection. On one occasion, my AWD BMW saved my ass when starting a L/H turn at lighted intersection, start the turn, and car runs the red from out of nowhere, hits another car, which goes spinning towards my car, no way to anticipate all of this, and hitting the gas and getting the heck clear fast was the only thing that kept car B from plowing into me. There's just no way in hell with RWD on that surface. Don't fool yourself.

In any case, this is exactly one of those posts that I was referring to above...

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 03-31-2020 at 11:52 PM.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote