Thread: A10 or M6
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 11:04 PM   #148
Jon A

Drives: 2014 L86 Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
Because the A8 only has a max drop of about 1500rpm or so, which gives the A10 have more hp and the A8 more tq after each shift.
The torque after the shift is meaningless unless you also multiply in the gear ratio to figure out torque at the wheels at a particular speed...which is meaningless because all that math does is figure out HP. Looking at a line on a dyno is much easier.

HP under the curve is all that matters when looking at shift points as it represents force at the pavement at any given speed. Unless you have a rather odd looking HP curve for a sports car (long constant-declining HP curve like in a diesel truck) the smaller drop means more average power being used down the track under acceleration, especially in the earlier gears which are typically spaced farther apart.

Another thing it gives you as I can tell you being an old-school 6 speed driver is always having the right gear. On any given roadcourse it seems there are corners that are "too fast for 2nd, but too slow for 3rd" or "too fast for 3rd but too slow for 4th," etc. Swap your axle ratio so it's perfect for every corner on one track (if you're lucky) and then it's "wrong" for a different track....

The 10 speed should pretty much be "optimum" at all times and in all places. I know the A8 got closer to that but I never drove it on a track--and it clearly had some other shortcomings.
Jon A is offline   Reply With Quote