View Single Post
Old 09-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #89
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
what i'm about to say isn't going to be popular here at Camaro6, but first let me ask this question. Who is responsible for and allows the continuation of our "capitalist" corporate structures?

I guess the question, at least for me, is a bit of a rhetorical one because I believe that WE, this country, our laws etc. provide the economic system for corporations to thrive. Now, that in it of itself is not something we can really fully account for here on a car forum, but my own opinion on CEO and VP (C-suite level pay), and here comes the "what i'm about to say isn't going to be popular" is that if any organization decides to benefit from our corporate laws (allowing for public investment), then their CEO / C-suite level pay is capped by some metric, be it median or average employee pay etc.

Many times when we see a CEO utterly fail and we see their 100+ million dollar buyout in the contract and we, most of us(?) ask...WTF is that all about. The answer given by pundits of high CEO pay such as boards of directors, is that the boards need to "attract talent" away from competitors and this is how they do it. Ok, so my idea levels the playing field and now a company doesn't have to offer ridiculous contracts. AND IF a company decides it needs to offer their CEO $$$ outside of that cap, FINE, they just can't get the benefits of a corporation or S-corp or whatever the case, they can stay a private non publicly traded organization and pay the CEO whatever the hell they want.

anyway...whatever - never gonna happen, but maybe this sort of idea makes sense at some level.

Also, part of the problem is that executives really think they work harder than anyone else, because answering a phone call or responding to an email at night or when they are on vacation is really hard work and they consider this that they are working 24/7.

Last edited by DenverTaco07; 09-19-2019 at 06:23 PM.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote