View Single Post
Old 11-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #15
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Your GTA was able to do that due to numerically higher gears in the rear and less weight to get moving out of the hole. Plus, the TPI's actually had decent low end torque. The ZL1 has more torque, numerically higher gears, and a different transmission and the Vettes (assuming you mean C7's) are lighter...

I spend tons of time at the drag strip (I probably have over 500 passes) with various cars, and I still say that the chances of a stock, A8 SS hitting something better then a 1.8 60' are near zero. Between the numerically low gears in the rear, soft converter, and it's weight. Heck, even the very, very few "hero runs" that some on this forum like to call them, for the A8 C7's are in the 1.7 60' range (and it's only like two cars). The vast majority are in the 1.8/1.9 60' range, which is where you will see the A8 SS in my opinion.
Well since you spend so much time at the track I'm sure you know that going from high 1.9's to low 1.8's is huge on the et. And even though the zl1 had more low end it also had alot more weight. The new camaro also has an advantage with its more aggressive gearing in the 8speed auto. The mph is a clear indication of the HP/weight of the zl1 vs 6th gen SS. On paper the zl1 should handle it with ease but that may not be that case in the real world.