View Single Post
Old 10-24-2022, 04:08 PM   #13
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Heh, very gallant of you, but I don't know much at all. However, and color me surprised, I've now learned about noid lights from this article, so I'm a bit less clueless than I was yesterday, yay (although the same article also says an oscilloscope is the best injector troubleshooting tool)

About the grounds question, I just don't see how any common/shared ground that is not specific to an injector bank could cause a whole bank, but nothing else, to fail. Did you check X161 thoroughly? I can't yet dismiss the idea that it isn't seated properly or has some damage, it would be such an obvious explanation.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with ECM internals, maybe it does have bank separated grounding on its circuit board, but at that point your only realistic choice is ECM replacement anyway.

Hey Arpad, I spent some quality time with the Service Manual and did some more troubleshooting yesterday. Here’s what I found:

· As I mentioned earlier, all injectors have power.

· All injector signal wires have continuity from the X1 ECM connector to the injector i.e. the entire run, upstream and downstream of connector X161. I’m positive there is no signal; I validated my technique on the left bank using a noid test light. It flashed away on the left side.

· Pin number 72 on ECM connectors X2 and X3 is grounded to the back side of the driver’s side head, I believe this is G103 on the wiring diagram. Both ground paths are good. There are no other external ECM grounds.

So….I am confident that I don’t have a harness problem or a ground problem, which makes me think ECM. The only other possibility is maybe a sensor issue or sensor harness issue. While I don’t know the details, I am sure that the ECM uses the input from several sensors when firing the injectors, however I can’t envision how a sensor issue could affect only one bank. Take the cam or crankshaft position sensors for example, there are only one of each.

Unless you, or anyone else, can think of something else to check, I’m going to roll the dice on that $220 plug-and-play ECM. It will come loaded with my stock tune so I’ll have to license with HPTuners, reload my latest tune, etc. but that shouldn’t be a big deal.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote