Thread: ZL1 vs Hellcat
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #762
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
For many who don't care to just race between lights and go down the strip, we want superior handling, we want all around performance; so it does matter how well they do at the Ring, VIR etc., as these speak directly to how well the car handles, braking, acceleration, balance etc. = overall performance.

It is interesting that, it appears on this forum, (please let me know if i'm wrong) that none of the HC owners or pundits care about road course times ( i think we know why). on Camaro6 you have obviously found many folks who are let's say "on the camaro side" for lack of a better phrase, who will praise the HC for it's ability to go 1320 feet in a straight line. You will surely find some resistance when someone says that the HC will "walk" A Z06, or that "at my track nobody beats my buddies HC"...but WE ALL know how well the HC does in this regard, and give it due props.

It is too bad, at least according to the few HC enthusiasts here on Camaro6, that 1320 is the only thing that matters, and that until GM's products can easily start "Walking" a HC down the strip, that apparently they just aren't worth discussing.

Just my impressions of the discussion so far.

p.s. I also find it interesting now that trap speeds etc. have been released the focus seems to have shifted to how comfortable the HC is vs. a Camaro and that now seems to be the deciding factor on which car is better.
I enjoyed the handling of the 85 Iroc, that car was comfortable and for it's time it was an awesome driver. Only thing about a car that can handle like that is that most drivers cannot meet the performance of the car. Many of us grew up in an era of the automobile when drag racing was a main staple of the USA. Maybe because cars didn't really handle very well back then. We've seen an era of our youth which thrived on the Import craze and those little cars handled quite well. Problem with that was the ignorance of those driving wrecklessly throughout the streets and highways of America creating a very dangerous safety problem for unsuspecting pedestrians and motorists. It is unsafe to street race period hence the track statements. The track, whichever your poison should be the only venue a car gets the test of it's potential. It isn't that the Hellcat is all that however, it is pretty much a Challenger which many thousands found attractive due to it's retro styling as well as a nice road car which offered very nice interior appointments and comfort for those who were in the car market. The Hellcat goes true to American heritage in that it offers a hell of an amount of power which clearly placed it at the head of the performance arena. That car has been available for a longtime where Chevy and Ford had nothing to compete with. The gen 5 Camaro had nothing to bring whatsoever. That's just the way it is. Like my 1985 Iroc z, you could go around a corner but when the road went straight you were going to get your ass handed to you.
Now that Chevy has put the Camaro on a diet and given it some power I just hope they let the car wring out it's potential in all aspects. Personally, as stated several times in this and other threads I'm a diehard Chevy guy but I appreciate a Giant when I see one, regardless the monker. Want to see another eye opener, watch a Tesla lay down a 7 flat number in it's dead quiet mode. Those cars are quick as hell but I don't like the car overall. They will fall apart soon enough the way they are built. If you have a size 11 foot, it's hard to get into the back seat because of the door opening.
We'll how the ZL1 turns out real numbers wise. I'm hoping it kills the Hellcat personally. I'm sure Chevy would like that as well. Maybe the ZL1 actually has some power above and beyond the rating.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote