View Single Post
Old 01-14-2023, 10:32 AM   #46
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Uniden R4 is my choice. A few things to consider:

-Decide if you want arrows. I don't, I really don't care at all about that feature, so I don't need R7, R8 or V1. All I want is an alert with meter so I know when they are near and when I'm close to actually being clocked.

-Consider what the local cops use to measure speed. In my state they only use Ka band, so I don't care much about false alerts from X or K band. They used to use laser but either it's very rare or they gave up on using it. If all you need is a Ka band detector, all those false alert features won't matter.

-Size... R8 is much larger than R4, it's just too large for my tastes.

Price... I also have an older Redline, the new one at $800 is priced at the ridiculous end of the spectrum. R4 was $350. Seems just as good so far.

Mounting... I paid big-$ for blendmount and mirror tap for the Redline in my Camaro. New dd has a stick-on mount using 3M double sided trim tape and a generic mirror tap, got both on etsy for around $20 shipped. I like the stick-on better than the blendmount anyways, I can put the detector to the side of the mirror and not have it under the mirror, where it has more of an impact on visibility.

I'd also recommend using Waze at the same time.