View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 06:59 AM   #12
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingchunsifu View Post
So I've had 2 orthopedic surgeries on my left arm, LE and Martial arts related along with 4 other surgical procedures, 2 of them also caused by LE scuffles with perps. And my wife a left arm rotator cuff repair. I drove my Gen 5 stick in a cast and my Gen 6 stick in a cast. I even sent my wife to the dealer in the Gen 5 to get a scheduled oil change while she was in a cast, to the "WTF" chagrin of the service writers when she rolled up in the driveway. In America, driving a stick with only the right arm is easy. However, if your right arm is in a cast its a "whole nuther ballgame" because we don't live in the UK. It can be done by reaching across with your left arm to shift and using your knee/thigh to steer but it is difficult and definitely not a fun ride albeit challenging. ANY type of surgical recovery due to the inflammation of healing nullifies the "fun" part of driving a standard.

I used to be a "Manual only" "Stick for life kind" of guy when I was younger an incurred fewer injuries. Yes, I get the connected driving experience with a stick: real cool and great four limbs neuro-feedback. But as I got older...and a little smarter, I rediscovered and found Jesus in the A8 by swapping out my 2017 SS's. I saw the light! Moving less is more and faster- much less work. Pure Wing Chun!. The standard shift transmission is an anachronism- outdated technology. The human body often breaks when you age as well as playing hard in sports or overtraining in manual labor. We're just talking about an immobilized right arm here. Imagine a f****d up left leg, ankle or knee. Depressing a clutch in pain is no fun. Some guys will never relinquish their Blackberrys or their 6 shot revolvers. I'll take a high capacity auto any day along with my I phone.

And if you're really into HP driving you have an advantage by keeping 2 hands on the wheel at all times. Ask any emergency responder who has to do actual stunt driving for a living where the real stakes are life and death.

Forgive my rant, It's not my first. Just preaching the gospel of the superb modern automatic transmission.

Good luck and godspeed in your recovery!

PS: Get a Bidet attachment for your toilet. Its life changing.

https://www.amazon.com/Zen-Bidet-Z-3...gateway&sr=8-1
I agree with most everything you said, especially the bidet part. For those of you that poo-poo the idea (no pun intended), trust me.