View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #189
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinginHawk View Post
Norm is also under the impression that driver assistance features have done him little good to date.
That is, in fact, true. Whether you care to believe it or not.

When there is nothing to report where any of these technologies have done me any good when I had any of them available, that is the only conclusion that can come out of it.

There haven't even been any situations before they were available to me where they might have helped, not even a couple I can think of from over 40 and over 50 years ago respectively where getting into the situation in the first place was entirely on me and I knew it as the situations were developing.

Quote:
We all have shortcomings, momentary or otherwise.
I am aware of that. Something could happen tonight (going out to eat). But as long as I do my part I won't be needing my '08's ABS or wishing I had my wife's car and its stability control.

Quote:
Of course you are allowed your opinion even if it suggests that track times are more important than covering lapses in awareness/judgement, but it would inform whether or not I take your position seriously when it comes to public well-being.

You are also allowed to have a dedicated track car that has no cumbersome safety features to bog down your driving capabilities.
Track episodes are what I have to illustrate that situations that these technologies are supposed to unburden the driver from can in fact be handled by an unaided driver (I have video documentation of catching tailhappiness in the wet and through spilled coolant as well).

You really need to know that I just don't get into such situations on the street, though I did once manage to needlessly trigger the stability control on my wife's car (yes, it was needless).

Norm