View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #185
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostys View Post
Actually, from you, yes, I expected an anecdote incident that would somewhat "prove" that technology advancing isn't completely a good thing because that one time it actually increased the risk you faced when it failed on you. Then I just think a bit and realize your point of view does not take into account all the time ABS or any other driving assistance actually helped drivers by doing it's job because it might never have happened to you (doubtful but vOv).

The funniest part about this is that even if you happen to be a perfect diver who never make mistakes and always pay 100% attention, those driving aids will end up helping you because once in a while, it will help prevent a careless driver from crashing into you.
Well, it was a true story with the documentation to prove it . . . but you're mistaking my intent. What I am saying was that the situation was well within what I can cope with even in the absence of technological help. The following lap time was slightly slower, mainly because I threw away the downshift I'd have normally made and ran a gear too high for about the next quarter of a lap.

I know if I counted up all the number of times I ever put a car into its ABS on my fingers that I'd have as many left over as I'd used (I'm not counting any intentional ABS events encountered while hooning around in the snow or investigating what ABS activity might feel like). This covers a little over 17 years at this point, and even includes my track time.

Of course I can't fix momentary shortcomings in other drivers, so yeah, it's possible that I might some day avoid the consequences of a mistake on their part that was mitigated through ABS, Stabilitrak, or some other technological assistance. But what's more likely is another driver making a serious right-of-way error in a scenario that would be beyond the laws of physics to avoid or otherwise prevent.

Norm