Thread: vs 2018 Mustang
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 04:37 PM   #713
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I have no idea what you're even talking about. I don't know what kind of shady liars you associated with. Or what kind of people you've met who blatantly lied about what they've done to the car. But that was something that only the Import guys did up until recently as far as I know. Or who knows, maybe the Mustang crowd has always been like this. But back when I was younger (not that I'm old), people had a level of respect and honesty when it came to racing. Unless it was "run what you brung" in which case you could have a 700 hp car against a 200 hp car which makes no damn sense anyway, people talked about their mods and how much power they made. If anything people talked up their numbers. There certainly wasn't this level of pervasive downplay like you're trying to make it out to be. The only people who did that were those who either wanted to make themselves and their car look better and/or those who wanted an easy win. So they'd come out whit "oh I just have simple bolt-ons" and they'd look to race those who really did have simple bolt-ons so they could win and make themselves look better. Those kids made bad names for themselves in the groups I was in. Considering how much you're sticking up for these kids I would assume that if you've been involved in Mustangs for a long time then this was pretty much the norm with them.

Speaking for myself, If I'm gonna race someone, I'm honest about what is done to my car. I have stuff that is hidden (like ported TBs) and stuff that I don't think does much for acceleration (like throttle controllers). But I don't feel I have to lie or withhold that info. While it apparently is normal to be deceitful over in the Mustang world, over here we mention all of our mods. And we know enough about our cars that we know when someone is bullshitting anyway. So don't talk over here like I'm the one who's mixed up. Anyone who has to lie about what they've done to their car is pretty much a douchebag.
It's got nothing to do with any brand of car. I gave up street racing long ago because I grew up and had a family and legal troubles suck. When I started street racing in the mid 80's Fox bodies were just starting to hit the scene, I sold my 73 Mach1 and bought a 85'GT in '86. My friends all had old school Muscle Cars and everyone in the scene lied or was deceptive with what they had . Even friends If they built a new motor they would hide as many details as they possible could. if it was a Big Block of course it was a " mild 396". It was part of the game, you either assumed you were being lied to, trained your eyes to know what to look for or somebody slipped up and let the truth out.

There is much more honesty these days because there are much fewer potential variation to begin with. everyone has the same bolt-ons. Most people are running factory displacement and almost nobody has cams. so now people whine about axles, driveshafts and OPG's. If you complained about a guy not disclosing a HV oil pump or a heavy duty oil pump drive shaft on a motor in the 80's you'd get laughed off the street.
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote